League of Women Voters Mission Statement
The League of Women Voters, a grassroots, nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters was founded in 1919 as an auxiliary to the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA). The League was designed as a non-partisan organization dedicated to educating women for their new political role. As was anticipated, the League of Women Voters replaced NAWSA after women were granted the right to vote in 1920. In 1920, New Jersey also established a state organization in Newark. Since 1920, communities established local leagues. In 1947, the League of Women Voters of the Morristown Area received its charter. Today, our local League is one of 38 other local Leagues throughout New Jersey. All local Leagues are in regular communication with the League of Women Voters of New Jersey, whose headquarters is across from the State Capitol in Trenton. Local Leagues collaborate in joint programming as needed.